A Graceful Maiden's Memoir

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song!" - Psalm 28:7

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Letters to My Dearest

Almost every night, right before bed,
I sit down with a pen, or a pencil instead.

I open my diary and start writing a note,
To a man I know not, and for a long while won't!

I write to My Dearest, my darling, my love,
I write him of hopes, dreams, and the Father above.

"Your Dearest?” you ask,Pray tell, who is he?”
It is he who one day my husband shall be.

You write to someone that you don't even know?”
'Tis true and for certain, yet quite of'tn I do so.

I write him in laughter, or I write him in tears,
I write him of joys, or I write him of fears.

I write him to tell him about that very day.
To recount what I've been doing while he is away.

He's somewhere away, just where, I'm not sure.
But I've kept myself for him, in every way pure.

I'm too young to court, and far too young to wed.
Yet like every young maiden, sometimes I would like to have said,

Goodnight now, My Dearest, I love you so!”
Yet there's no one to say it to, for I don't have a beau!

Nor do I want one, at least not 'til I'm older,
And God's timing is perfect, as He touches my shoulder

And says, “Now he's here dear, Your Dearest, so faithful.
Go now, and marry! I know he'll be thankful

That you've kept yourself pure, and have waited on Me.
So here's My perfect choice, for you, and for he.”

So until then, I continue writing letters and praying.
Telling him that I love him, so I'm patiently waiting.

The next few years will probably fill pages and pages
With longings and questions as I go through life's stages.

So, until I am married, I'll wait for God's best,
And continue writing more letters, to my own Dearest.

*By Anna Naomi Lofgren*

6 Comments:

  • At 2:53 PM, April 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, Anna! I am so blessed to know you. Your life and faithfulness to your convictions is such an inspiration to me as an "older woman". When I see young ladies of your generation choose to keep themselves pure and set apart for "only one" it encourages me and gives me hope.

    Thanks also for your special friendship with my daughter. I have such peace knowing I can trust her heart with you.
    Mrs. Lavonne

     
  • At 2:57 PM, April 26, 2006, Blogger Anna Naomi said…

    Thanks for the encouragement Mrs. Lavonne! Thank you also for allowing Miriam and I to have a close friendship. Everyone needs a girl like her for a friend!

     
  • At 4:24 PM, April 26, 2006, Blogger Susan said…

    What a neat poem! I've written a few "letters to my dearest", though not many - 5 or 6 maybe? I've also written a few sonnets and other poems :).

     
  • At 2:16 PM, April 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really good, Anna!!!
    The poem is really neat, and I thoroughly agree with you convictions.

     
  • At 3:06 PM, April 27, 2006, Blogger Jessica said…

    Thank you for the birthday wishes! And good poem...

     
  • At 3:10 PM, April 27, 2006, Blogger The Patriot said…

    Anna that poem was wonderfully written! You are really talented!

    And I am so blessed to have "met" you... :) keep up the great writing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home