A Graceful Maiden's Memoir

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song!" - Psalm 28:7

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Ballet through a little girls eyes...

Through a little girl's eyes I am an astounding ballerina, and her hero! Very flattering, yet I know I'm not perfect.

Today I babysat two of the Pace girls, and, like I do most times I babysat, we danced a lot! I recognize so much of myself when I was little in Abi, who so enjoys dancing! When I was little, before I had ballet classes, I used to dance around the house all the time, and soak up all the information I could about ballet. Jubilee and I would watch the one Ballet Magnificat! video, it actually got pretty worn out! We'd watch it and try to copy their every move, yet having no clue what exactly they were doing! Anytime I heard a little about how ballerinas hold their arms or something, I would try to do exactly that, trying so hard to be the ballerina I wanted to be!

I see so much of that in Abi, and in the other Pace girls, Natalie and Katherine as well! I danced around the house with Abi today, and I could see her watch my every move and try to mimic everything I did. She's such a sweet little six year old, and such a little dancer! As I danced and twirled her around, or lifted her up and spun her, it brought back so many memories of me when I was 6! I would dance through the house, and mom would ask me to do things, such as "would you please dance this to the kitchen?" and I would do it with such enjoyment!

What is it that attracts little girls to ballet so much? Why do most of them feel, at one time or another, such a desire to dance? Maybe it has to do with the gracefulness involved, or the joy felt as one whirls and twirls. I thank God for such a way to worship Him, using the body He's given me to bring glory to Him through dance.

As a "grown up ballerina" of 15, I still love dancing around the house, and my family can attest to that! Why, just last night before bed I was spinning around the living room, filled with energy and a desire to dance! I have now had 5 years of dance training, so I know more about what I'm doing, but I still enjoy just dancing and twirling for dancing's sake!

With all the progress I've made thus far, I am glad that I can still see a little bit of the little girl I was in Abi... Seeing again how a ballerina looks through a little girl's eyes.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:17 AM, April 20, 2006, Blogger Jessica said…

    Awww...how sweet...I know, I love to see little girls dance too! And this is another "grown up ballerina" who still dances around the house, etc...though I don't think my family or friends appreciates it when I do that in public!

     
  • At 10:30 AM, April 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anna comes by this from God's gift of heritage. (I was going to say "naturally.") Her grandmother (my mom) would dance in the house when Lawrence Welk used to come on our black and white, 1 channel t.v.)
    PRAISE GOD with the Dance ! "Let them praise HIS Name with DANCING and make music to HIM with tamborine and harp for The LORD takes delight in His people, He crowns the humble with salvation." (Psalm 149:3-4) This whole Psalm is awesome; note:verses 6-7.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home