A Graceful Maiden's Memoir

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song!" - Psalm 28:7

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Spring Camp-out 2006

We just got back from a really fun camping trip up at Wind Creek! It was a lot smaller than most of the ones we've gone on, and there wasn't anyone my age there, but I had a lot of fun! Besides, I had babies and little girls to hold!

We weren't quite sure if we were going to go at first, I mean, when the weather says 100% chance of rain plus a chance of hail and tornadoes, is it really a good idea to go camping? :-) Call us crazy, but some of us went! And, it turned out just fine! Mom and dad didn't want to risk it, but Miriam came and took us up after she got off work. It was a tight squeeze to have all of us in her little Saturn, but I was glad to be going. After all, I'd packed all this food, we couldn't not go and waste it! We had a little rain on and off Friday night and Saturday morning, but our tarp shelter kept us nice and dry. It also provided a very nice shade from the sun!

Arriving at the camping site around 6:30 p.m., we hurridly erected our tent, then ate supper. After that, it was what Lofgrens do best, games! :-) A camping trip just wouldn't be complete without card games! Mr. Kevin told us that we weren't really "enjoying the great outdoors", but we were fellowshipping and smelling the fresh air! We didn't sit around all day though, trust me!

Before bed on Friday, we decided to go for a walk up to the silo. Finally arriving at it, we discovered that it was closed after dark, so we started to walk back to the tenting area. Just then, the sky opened up with a great torrent of rain! Thankfully we were near a pavilion, and after running wildly for it, stayed high and dry until the cloudburst stopped.

Birds and the first rain all night woke us up around 5:30 a.m. Far from the heavy thunderstorms predicted however, this rain was very gentle and didn't last long. Since it's pretty much impossible to sleep with the sun up, we soon crawled out of our sleeping bags and faced the day ahead. We went down to the lake after a while. It was so pretty! After breakfast, we played various games and things all morning, frequently having to make for the tarp shelter to prevent getting wet.

Right before lunch, daddy and mother arrived for the day. After eating, since it was now nice, warm, and sunny, Miriam and I joined the others for a swim. After a refreshingly cool dip, we got out and swung on the swings at the park!

I know, two big girls swinging, but it was so fun! All the children had a lot of fun at the park as well! We then went back to camp, but I quickly tired of wet clothes, and went for a shower and a nice dry outfit!

No camping trip at Wind Creek would be complete without a trip to the silo and the pier. It was a nice walk, and it was fun talking with some of the ladies that were there. After going back... yes more games! We had learned a new game called "Buy It!" from someone there, and played it throughout yesterday and today.

It was almost time for supper, when we realized that we hadn't played a game of volleyball all day! It would not be a Lofgren camping trip without one, so we all made for the beach to play a little beach volleyball. Sorry to say, even the sand did not prevent me from falling into the splits a few times. I guess that's just what you get when you combine ballet and volleyball. I'd lunge for the ball, and whoops! I'm on the ground! Oh well.

Miriam and I got quite hungry, so after some time we left to fix supper. We had s'mores around the fire, and then just sat and enjoyed the warmth before going to bed. Even though it's almost May, the evenings still are a mite chilly! Gabriella even put up with me holding her for a little while. She usually doesn't let me when her mother's around! Pretty soon bed started sounding really good, even if it was just a sleeping bag!

Sunday morning I woke up with the birds at 5:30 a.m. After visiting the restroom, I noticed a really pretty sunrise down by the lake, so after going back and finding no one up, I took my Bible and camera to have devotions by the lake. It was so pretty! I kept snapping pictures before and during the time the sun rose. Living in the valley, we don't really get to see sunrises, and especially not ones over a lake!

When I finally went back to the camp site, more people were awake and I made breakfast. After, must I say, more "Buy It!" we packed up our things and left around 11 a.m. We were really tired, but happy. It is nice to be home after such a fun weekend with the Paces, Mortons, Smiths, Fannings, Moores, and others!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home