A Graceful Maiden's Memoir

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song!" - Psalm 28:7

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Another sewing project completed

Today I finished the swimsuit I was making! It was a little hard to get used to sewing with and stretching the lycra, and inserting elastic was really hard at first. I learned that you should follow the directions the the T concerning the elastic, even if they seem weird and unnecessary! :-) I did change on thing concerning the elastic though. I made a casing and fed the elastic through for the shorts waistband, instead of zigzagging it to the fabric, and then turning it under. In some places the elastic doesn't look perfect, but all in all, I think it turned out well! I modified the swimsuit a little, lengthening the bodice (since I'm on the tall side), skirt, and shorts a bit. I also sewed the skirt to the bodice, instead of leaving them separate. I left the bodice to hang down and tuck into the shorts, so the swimsuit shouldn't come up while swimming! In addition, I used 4-way-stretch lycra for the lining as well, since I had plenty of it, and didn't want to fuss with swimsuit lining fabric. Also, since I got a great deal on fabric off ebay, I didn't want to have to buy even more fabric! A tip, if you're going to buy lycra fabric, check ebay first! The best I could find on online fabric stores was lycra for $10 a yard! However, I got 4 yards off of ebay for $18, and that included shipping! $4.50 per yard is a whole lot better than $10 per yard, and ebay had a great selection!

I made the skirt knee-length, so that I'll be comfortable wearing it in and out of water. Plus, I won't have to wear shorts while swimming, I'll just wear the swimsuit, making swimming more comfortable. I also like that it's higher necked then most! Though it didn't turn out perfectly, it's very comfortable, and I'm glad I made it! You can find the pattern here.

Here's pictures of my swimsuit, one with me wearing it, along with a blouse that matches perfectly, and one of just the swimsuit. I really like the fabric, it has my favorite color in it!

Ready for sand and sun

The completed swimsuit

15 Comments:

  • At 7:42 PM, May 27, 2006, Blogger Jessica said…

    Wow...I'm impressed that you finished the swimsuit so quickly! It looks cute! So, in the original pattern, the top bodice piece didn't connect to the bottom piece? Kind of like a tankini style (though MUCH more modest than any tankini I've seen!)? And in the original pattern, are the shorts and skirt connected? Or are they each a separate piece...a three-piece swimsuit? Hmmm...that's interesting...from the picture on the Biblical Womanhood site, I had just assumed that they were connected...

     
  • At 7:44 PM, May 27, 2006, Blogger Jessica said…

    Oh...and from looking at the picture again...the fabric is really cute...I love the print! That's amazing you found it so cheap on ebay...I would never think to even look there for fabric...

     
  • At 4:12 AM, May 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, looks great Anna!

     
  • At 5:14 AM, May 28, 2006, Blogger The Patriot said…

    I LOVE it! I usually just buy a swimsuit and wear some shorts with it. Though sometimes the shorts get really heavy and in the way... :)

     
  • At 5:59 AM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Anna Naomi said…

    In the pattern, the bodice was really long, and tucked into the shorts and skirt, which were connected together. I prefered a not-tucked in look, so I sewed the skirt and bodice together, leaving the long bodice that hung down to tuck into the shorts, underneath the skirt.

    I was kinda upset when I realized that I'd have to pay $40 for fabric, kind of expensive for a swimsuit! Then on a whim, I decided to check ebay, and I'm so glad I did!

    Yes, shorts are heavy, but I hope the skirt isn't too heavy... I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

     
  • At 2:43 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger The Patriot said…

    Can't wait for pictures of your praise dance recital...

    Waiting... :)

     
  • At 5:18 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Anna Naomi said…

    sorry, Jen! I don't have any pictures from yesterday! Unless... Miriam, did you take any? I'd like copies if you did! As soon as Elijah shows me how to make the DVD of the recital, I'll send you one though Jen!

     
  • At 10:26 PM, May 28, 2006, Blogger Sherrin said…

    That is a great swim suit, and very modest! It looks fairly comfortable too.

     
  • At 4:48 AM, May 29, 2006, Blogger Susan said…

    I love your swimsuit! I may have to get that pattern someday. I don't do much swimming now, though, so I don't really have a need to make one currently. I just wear a regular one-piece suit with knee-length culottes and a lycra tanktop for my swim outfit now. Your is so much more pretty and feminine, though. I love the fabric pattern :).

     
  • At 2:20 PM, May 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry, Anna. :(
    I didn't take any pictures.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, May 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anna,

    What are all the sizes the pattern comes with?

    SIL Michele

     
  • At 5:29 PM, May 29, 2006, Blogger Anna Naomi said…

    Michele, it comes in Ladies' sizes 6-14.

    Miriam, that's okay. I guess people on here will just have to go without pictures!

     
  • At 10:51 AM, May 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anna, thought you didn't know it, you were really asking if I (your sister Miriam) took pictures of your dance recital. I did though I don't have them with me here at work. I'll try to email them to you tomorrow!

     
  • At 1:10 PM, May 30, 2006, Blogger Anna Naomi said…

    okay, thanks Miriam! Mom had said that Miriam had taken a picture of a certain thing... and I immediately just assumed she was talking about Miriam Hart! :-) Oh the mixups we get into! Anyways, thanks ahead of time for the pictures!

     
  • At 10:20 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Carl Koller said…

    Wow! Good Job!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home