A Graceful Maiden's Memoir

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song!" - Psalm 28:7

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Sewing Spree

I've been on a sewing spree! The last 5 days I've been sewing in most of my spare time, and have finished 3 dresses! Enjoy the pictures.

I have made quite a few dresses for myself, so I made Jubilee some. I started this dress a few weeks before July, but had to stop as things got busy, and then I left for camp. We finally got what was needed to complete it, and I finished it last Saturday. It's the same as my red rose dress, just made with blue rose material.

For an upcoming wedding, with hopefully some old English type dancing afterwards, I made Jubilee a Colonial type dress, like the ones Miriam and I made. Miriam helped make her sister Esther a dress of the same type in purple, so I made Jubilee's in green. It's really pretty with her red hair and green eyes! I cut it out on Saturday afternoon, and completed it on Tuesday morning.

And yes, another for myself! It's the same style as my dark purple-sashed one, only with a light purple ruffle and sash, and pink rosed material. I have had the material ever since I was 13, but never made it into a dress. So, I decided to get it done. I cut it out a few weeks ago, but didn't start sewing until today. I sewed quite a bit, and just finished it after 4 hours of sewing! This is the third time I've used this particular pattern, so it went pretty fast.

And now... for a fall/winter wardrobe... stay tuned! =)

10 Comments:

  • At 2:58 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Claire said…

    Just lovely, Anna! So feminine and beautiful...

    I love sewing also (and designing patterns!), but don't have the time to make half the outfits I dream up. :)

    Your Sister in Christ,
    Claire

     
  • At 4:44 PM, August 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful dresses! I wish I could sew like that! I'm doing Home Ec. this year, so maybe... :-)

     
  • At 4:49 PM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Ella said…

    Another thing that you are soo blessed with: I can't do that either. I wish I could. Did you teach yourself? My mom can't sew too, so that is out as well.

     
  • At 4:04 AM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Miriam N. said…

    The dresses are gorgeous, Anna!
    You look very pretty, Jubilee.

     
  • At 5:54 AM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Anna Naomi said…

    Thanks for the encouraging comments girls!

    Ella: I started sewing when I was 9 or 10. Mom started requiring me to sew for 1/2 an hour each day as part of my schoolwork. I sewed a lot of doll clothes. I had helped my older sister Miriam (an amazing seamstress) a few times, so I knew most of what to do, and when I was stuck, my mom could answer the basic questions. I started sewing dresses when I was 14. Mom didn't know too much, so whenever I ran into a problem, I waited until my sister Miriam came over to help me. I figured out a lot of things by trial and error! The stitch ripper is still my best friend... If you mom doesn't sew, perhaps you can find a sewing class. A lot of places have them, I think. Or, maybe you or your mom have a friend that can help you? You can figure a lot out through the patterns, and there are books available, but perhaps there'd be someone to help you if you got stuck. Sewing's really not that hard, after you get through the first dress. (mine was pretty bad!)

    Samantha: It's the woman's lace collar dress (#402A) off this website: Common Sense Patterns

     
  • At 10:43 AM, August 10, 2006, Blogger The Patriot said…

    Anna; will you come sew for me???

    :)

     
  • At 2:58 PM, August 10, 2006, Blogger Anna Naomi said…

    Sure Jen! =) Send me the ticket and I'll come... hehe!

     
  • At 1:19 PM, February 06, 2007, Blogger Laura H. said…

    My name is Laura Hines, and I would like to say, I like your blog.
    I like to sew too. I have quite a collection of costume patterns, I have accumulated over the years. I have a bin of material, just iching to be used. I have been busy, helping my family with our business.
    I too have a blog. It is called the Perennial Pioneer. It is to encourage young ladies in their walk to reclaiming femininity. I talk about clothes, their callings, and such. Would like for you to visit! It is:http://perennialpioneer.blogspot.com
    I think we have some things in common. Would like to get to know you more!
    In Christ,
    Laura Hines
    lmh4him@hotmail.com

     
  • At 3:16 PM, September 04, 2007, Blogger Jessica said…

    Wow!! I LOVE the green one!! :)

     
  • At 4:19 PM, August 11, 2011, Blogger Hanna said…

    Wow, I wish you had a sewing blog. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home