A Graceful Maiden's Memoir

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song!" - Psalm 28:7

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Nothing Like a Baby

Yesterday I had the wonderful privilege of holding sweet baby Joel for over 2 hours while he slept a lot and was awake a little, and he was just so cute! My arms ached some when I finally had to give him back to his mother, but I was filled with joy at the great opportunity to hold a delightful little baby, and rejoice in such a beautiful little blessing from God.

What is it about a baby that makes them so cute - no matter what they're doing? I guess it's as my mom says, "There's just nothing like a baby." Their perfect little fingers and toes, their big eyes and cute little nose, their soft skin and chubby cheeks all show God's special handiwork.

Now, I know that babies aren't always pleasant. I've been around quite a few screaming babies that I couldn't quiet. I've walked the floor with them, trying to get them to sleep, even in the middle of the night a few times. I've changed many an unpleasant diaper. I've had them make messes on me. But, I still love them, and cherish every opportunity I get to hold them.

And, babies do grow up. 3 of "my babies" are now toddlers... but they're still so sweet! I babysat a family of 5 children last night, and baby of the family is already almost 2 years old! I've babysat him since was only a little more than a month old, and now he's running around with the rest of his siblings, scarcely still. He still loves to be held and cuddled however, and I kept scooping him into my arms and giving him kisses, for I just couldn't resist! =)

One day, I hope to marry, and have babies of my own, ones that I won't have to give back eventually to their mothers. I know that it won't be easy, and I know that it will be tiring, but I'm still looking forward to it. But for now, I'll just have to be content with my nieces and nephews. In fact, Maria's expecting her third child in November, and it's probably a girl! I'll also take every opportunity that comes my way to cuddle a little baby, if only for a moment. For there IS nothing like a baby.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Ella said…

    You are extremely blessed that you can hold babies, and have alot of them as nieces and nephews. I don't have that opportuinity. I await the day when I can marry and have children of my own.

     
  • At 9:55 AM, August 09, 2006, Blogger Kelsa said…

    I love little babies - they're so cute. But I'm somewhat odd...I don't like doing nursery at church and I don't really like to babysit. But yet, I want children of my own. And I look forward to being married and having children.

    I know it seems almost contradictory...but my Mom said she's that way too - and she has 4 children, and loves us all VERY much!

     
  • At 1:18 PM, August 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I also love babies! i help my mom in the nursery at our church! I love them so much! They so pure ,so helpless!

     
  • At 4:51 PM, August 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kelsa, I have the same "problem": I love babies, but I don't like to babysit them! I think it's because I'm afraid something will happen to them while I'm in charge. But, like you, I am very much looking forward to the day when I have my own children (Lord willing). Weird! :-)

     
  • At 8:16 PM, August 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kelsa and charity grace,
    You know, I was the same way when I was growing up. I was the oldest daughter with 3 siblings younger than I so I had my share of caring for them.

    I also did a LOT of babysitting. In fact, my sister and I were quite "in demand" as babysitters, most likely because we were dependable, trustworthy and all around "good christian girls" : )

    But I never had this overwhelming affection for babies. I didn't seek them out, spirit them away from their mothers (like Anna does : ) and I did NOT enjoy working in the nursery.

    But, let me tell you, when I was pregnant with my first born -WOW- did my feelings change.
    I don't know if it was hormones or what, but I fell IN LOVE with that sweet one growing inside of me. And my love didn't abate when he was born. I had never experienced such a fierce overpowering protective LOVE as I felt when he was finally in my arms. The Lord ultimately blessed us with six more children and it was the same with each of them.

    I have to agree with Anna, that there is "nothing like a baby".

     
  • At 6:23 AM, August 11, 2006, Blogger Susan said…

    There is also no such thing as an ugly baby! I've never met a single one yet that isn't sweet and precious to me. . . and they are even more precious to God!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home