A Graceful Maiden's Memoir

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song!" - Psalm 28:7

Monday, February 20, 2006

I'd Rather Wear a Dress!

A little more than a month ago, I made a drastic change in the way I dress. I began to wear skirts or dresses on a daily basis, and I haven't regretted that decision at all!

Ever since I was little, I've loved wearing dresses. They made me feel so pretty, and so much like a girl! I even used to get upset if mom required me to wear pants... I enjoyed dresses so!

But, as I got older, I guess I noticed that dresses were not exactly the vogue, for I wore them less and less. I still loved to wear skirts and dresses, but it was usually only to church that I ended up wearing them. Plus, as I began to play outside with my brother and sisters, pants or shorts were simply easier to romp in!

As I grew into the early teens, I really wanted to fit in! I still dressed very modestly, but I tried to wear as much of the fashions as I could. Then, our family started a home church, and I found true friends. Friends who had the same convictions I had, who dressed like I did, and who were committed to seeking God. I begun to dress even more modestly, and finally found a place that I fit.

Shopping, however, was a nightmare! It was so hard to find modest pants or shorts! I often ended up getting things that I disliked and thought were ugly, but were at least modest. I didn't like the way most of the clothes looked, but they were modest...

Sometimes I would wear dresses or skirts places mother thought would be appropriate, and I loved how they looked and felt! I felt so pretty and so much like a girl, that I often wished I could wear them all the time! I would sometimes see ladies or girls who I could tell wore dresses mostly, and I would almost envy them! I wished that I had courage to wear dresses as well, but I didn't, because I was afraid of what others would think. I prayed a lot about wearing dresses, and I kept struggling with the question. I kept feeling restless... until I started primarily wearing dresses. Then, I was totally at peace, and haven't struggled since!

I kept reading articles about dresses, and I would yearn to make them the primary portion of my wardrobe, but was scared. Even my family would probably think me weird, and not understand!

One article that I especially liked was written by Sarah Harris, a girl my age. It was entitled Feminine Doesn't Just Mean Wearing Any Old Dress. I pondered and reread it many times, and I began to think that it wouldn't be so hard to make the switch. I emailed my friend Miriam about it, but she hadn't even responded before I decided. I was going to wear skirts and dresses, and just let people wonder!

Some have thought me strange, but most haven't even really noticed. And the way dresses make me feel... is just wonderful! I used to go places and be a little ashamed of how baggy I looked, but now I can go with my head up, and smile with confidence! I am dressed as a lovely woman, and I don't need to be ashamed of that!

Wearing dresses has also made me feel more feminine and womanly. It helps me act like a young woman, for there are certain things one simply just doesn't do in a dress!

I'm not saying that pants are bad, or that I'll never wear them again. In fact, there are some things that I will wear pants to do, such as when I'm choreographing dances at home. I'm just sharing how moving dresses to the primary part of my wardrobe has changed me, and made me truly feel... like a lovely young woman.

So, if someone asks me why I'm wearing dresses, or thinks it's something I've been forced to do, I can simply smile and respond, "Actually, I'd rather wear a dress!"

10 Comments:

  • At 1:51 PM, February 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bravo!!! My sentiments exactly!
    I don't wear dresses all the time, but I feel the same way about them. I love the way they feel, and the way they make me feel.
    God bless you for standing up for what you believe in.
    Your friend,
    Miriam Rebekah

     
  • At 6:45 AM, February 21, 2006, Blogger The Patriot said…

    That's great Anna! You have no idea how refreshing it is to find someone who thinks the same way I do... though I do struggle with the image other girls must paint of me, I still enjoy being a young lady... and I think dresses look more sophisticated, too.

     
  • At 7:06 AM, February 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anna,

    It shows your maturity to uphold your convictions instead of being fearful of what others think about you. I also agree that wearing dresses makes a woman appear more feminine. Danielle and I enjoy wearing dresses especially in the summer. Because of the times in which we live I think it is even more important to make a stand on what true womanhood is about and wearing dresses is a part of that.
    I've tried to purchase more dresses for the summer for us to wear too.
    Don't ever worry about being "weird" when your convictions don't go against God's Word.

    Your sis-in-law,
    Michele

     
  • At 3:59 PM, February 21, 2006, Blogger Anna Naomi said…

    thank you all!

     
  • At 5:33 PM, February 21, 2006, Blogger Anna Naomi said…

    Thanks for the encouragement Michele! I used to struggle a lot with thinking about what other people thought of me, but with God's help I've been able to overcome it mostly. I still do struggle sometimes, but God is good!

     
  • At 6:08 AM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Anna! this is Samantha, from band. remember me? lol. I remember you gave me the link to your website a long while ago, and I found the paper I wrote the URL on. But anyway, (lol) I feel the same way about dresses. They make me feel elegant, even if I'm wearing the most simple one I have! well I gtg see ya!


    ~*~Samantha~*~

     
  • At 7:55 PM, February 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Anna!
    This is Katie Morton! I met you at the Smith's in Griffin last year! I read your post and I just wanted to tell you that it just touches my heart to hear you delight in being a lady. What a precious treasure that is! God bless you as you seek to represent Him.Please tell your family hello from the Mortons!
    Love, KAtie

     
  • At 5:25 AM, February 27, 2006, Blogger Anna Naomi said…

    It's nice to hear from you girls, Katie and Samantha! Thanks for your kind comments!

     
  • At 4:21 PM, January 16, 2007, Blogger ~ said…

    Hi Anna,
    I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed this post and have linked to it in one of my posts which is part of Ladies Against Feminism's "Through the Week in Modest Dress." (http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com/artman/publish/Reader_Favorites_26/Through_the_Week_in_Feminine_Dress1002547.shtml)

    You can see my post here: http://nataliephotography.blogspot.com/2005/09/i-am-posting-this-to-be-added-to-this_25.html

    Blessings,
    Natalie

     
  • At 11:39 PM, June 23, 2007, Blogger Homeschooler said…

    Hi Anna,
    I know that I'm commenting on an old post, but I was delighted to read it, I HAD to comment! I haven't worn pants for years and I love wearing ankle length skirts and dresses. Recently, I found to my delight that I could ice skate easily in a skirt.

    I certainly don't see wearing skirts as "earning brownie points with God" but I do believe that He wants His daughters to look like women. If you're interested in reading a bit, there is a thread on my forum about modesty.
    http://www.homechurchresources.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

    Thank you for being an inspiration!
    -Bethany Turner

     

Post a Comment

<< Home